The Complete Guide to Living In West Town, Chicago
West Town is in Chicago northwest of the Loop on Chicago’s West Side. It is a collection of several distinct neighborhoods. Its boundaries are the Chicago River on the east side, Union Pacific railroad tracks on the south side, railroad tracks on Bloomingdale Avenue on the north side, and an irregular western border on the west side.
The Ambiance of the Neighborhood:
West Town has a population of around 80,000, with an area of the 11.84-kilometer square. Throughout the year, there are many festivals and fun events that take place in West Town. There are also parks where movies, art fairs, and many children’s events are hosted throughout the year. West Town also has some great apartments at great prices, which can be rented out by anyone who wishes to live in the neighborhood.
Bars and Restaurants:
If you are in West Town and looking for a good restaurant to dine in or takeaway, read below to find out what you can go for.
- Forbidden Root: $$: Some famous bars and restaurants include Forbidden Root, which is a restaurant and a bar with mostly positive reviews from people who visited. It also delivers and provides contactless delivery.
- Kennedy Rooftop: $$$$: Kennedy Rooftop is another bar and restaurant which, as the name suggests, is a rooftop restaurant. It is cozy and provides the best view, while one enjoys their food.
- Easy Bar: $$ – $$$: Easy Bar is a bar that provides outdoor seating and dine-ins. It has happy hour specials and group bookings and mostly positive reviews by customers.
- Queen Mary Tavern: $$: Queen Mary Tavern is another bar which has been very careful during Covid-19 as they enforce social distancing, and have hand sanitizers. It is required to wear masks, and the staff wears gloves, which is a great initiative considering the current situation. The ambiance is described as a cool atmosphere by many visitors.
There are many ways of transportations in West Town. The most common ones among them are listed below.
- Train: You can catch a train and move around the town for a very affordable price.
- Taxi: You can find taxis can result in great abundance in every neighborhood in Chicago, including the West Town.
- Uber: Uber facilities are also available in West Town, and you can easily book one by using the Uber app.
West Town also has public high schools, Magnet high schools, Charter high schools, private high schools, Catholic, elementary, and preschool as well.
What People Love About the Neighborhood:
Some of the best restaurants and bars are in West Town. Anyone who loves to eat would like living here or visiting this place. There are also some great shopping places, a shopaholic’s dream place. During summer shops remain open till late on weekends and offer amazing discounts which give a fun atmosphere.
The Chicago Avenue bus is another reason to love West Town as it is a great transportation option for going to work, explore the area as a tourist, and takes one to downtown Chicago and the Loop in a short amount of time. It is one of the safest neighborhoods to live in as there are is rarely any crimes.
What People Dislike About the Neighborhood:
There are a few things that people hate about this neighborhood. However, as Chicago is one of the most dangerous cities in the world, some of West Town’s surrounding neighborhoods are not as safe.